This call out is for individual Filipinx artists or collectives to submit new work to be part of an outdoor interactive art installation that will be exhibited at Nathan Phillips Square for KULTURA’s finale on Sunday, August 7th, 2016.
We are looking for large-scale interactive art installations and are open to all mediums including but not limited to paintings, photography, sculpture, mixed media, print work, film/video, performance, interactive multimedia, and animation.
Theme: Senyales n. sign
Tsinelas— they’re more than just flip-flops. To Filipinos tsinelas can symbolize play and discipline, Tumbang-Preso and palo.
Senyales explores the codes we use as Filipinos to make ourselves more visible to one another, the “Salamat!” we throw in at the end of every encounter, the kubyertos, banig, pambahay, and yes, tsinelas—objects that act as signifiers of Filipino-ness but may just look like a wooden spoon and fork, a mat, pyjamas, or flip-flops to anyone else.
To Filipinos, these items are markers of culture, of heritage, of identity, and of home.
Proposal Submission Deadline: Wednesday, June 15th, 2016 at 5:00pm
Proposals must include:
- Your CV (maximum 2 pages) or the mission statement of your collective (maximum 500 words)
- A proposal outlining your work and practice in general and how you would propose to engage this theme and space (maximum 500 words)
- Up to 3 images and/or 3 minutes of video documentation of previous work with a brief artist statement for each piece
Please submit your applications via email to Joyce VÖgler, Programs Manager at email@example.com and include:
- Your CV/mission statement and proposal in .pdf format
- Your support material in .jpeg format or a video link (via Youtube or Vimeo)