DESIGN INTERN POSITIONS AVAILABLE @ KAPISANAN in partnership with CMANGO DESIGN
REPORTS TO: KAPISANAN’S Programs Coordinator, Administrator, & Executive Director and CMANGO’S CREATIVE DIRECTOR, Christine Mangosing
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
Kapisanan & CMANGO DESIGN are seeking design interns to work with Kapisanan’s Marketing and Communications team and Event Planning Team and for CMANGO DESIGN. The Design Internship provides a learning experience during which interns participate in all aspects of designing creative elements in a professional design studio and producing material for the marketing, promotions, and outreach for all KAPISANAN programming, events, and projects. During this program you will have an opportunity to gain experience in the field and enhance your skills while working under the direction of professional mentors.
This is a unique opportunity for you to gain invaluable design experience, as well as develop marketing and communications skills within a vibrant and growing cultural organization and a professional design studio!
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
• Assist in designing creative elements and typesetting for projects (print, web and branding)
• Basic web updates
• Assist in client communications for CMANGO DESIGN:
1) prepare invoices 2) prepare quotes/proposal documents 3) write e-mails 4) make calls • filing
• source stock photography/illustrations/fonts
• photo editing i.e. silhouetting (close-cropping), colour correction, re-sizing, re-touching
• prepare digital files for pre-press (printing)
• researching, compiling and organizing data (this could include researching clients’ market competition, obtaining quotes from printers, photographers, etc…sourcing imagery for reference, etc…)
• design work to support Kapisanan’s Marketing and Event Planning teams
• Communicate regularly with KAPISANAN’S Executive Director and with CMANGO Creative Director on the status of the tasks assigned.
We are seeking a dynamic, committed young person with the following qualities:
• working knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Dreamweaver
• basic understanding of HTML/CSS
• illustration skills (both manual and digital) not required but is a definite plus
• MAC proficient with their own laptop
• Actively pursuing or completed Bachelor of Arts or diploma in a design program
• Creative, well-organized and self-motivated
• Keen interest or some background in the arts and culture production.
• excellent communications skills, verbal and written
• committed, efficient and detail oriented
• able to work independently with little supervision at the Kapisanan Centre when CMANGO CREATIVE DIRECTOR is working from home
• fast learner with the ability to work under tight deadlines
• Excellent communications skills, verbal and written
• Flexible and able to work well with others (need to coordinate work with the event planning & marketing interns of Kapisanan)
• portfolio (link to online)
• cover letter
The Kapisanan Philippine Centre for Arts and Culture is a youth-led organization that fosters leadership and positive Filipino cultural identification through arts presentation and professional development. KAPISANAN is a gathering place and networking hub for youth, artists, and entrepreneurs seeking creative and professional opportunities. Nestled in one of the most vibrant and diverse enclaves in Toronto, Kensington Market, the Kapisanan Philippine Centre for Arts and Culture has grown to become a focal point for arts mentorship, arts and cultural workshops and events. www.kapisanancentre.com
About CMANGO DESIGN
CMANGO DESIGN is a full-service Toronto-based design studio with an international breadth. We develop engaging visual communiqué that is customized, conscientious and inventive. Our services include: art direction, visual identity design, promotional design, editorial design, web design + development, photography, illustration and copywriting. Our studio has amassed a loyal clientele in creative industries that include music, film, fashion, health & beauty, magazine publishing, theatre and art exhibition. http://www.christinemangosing.com/
Start date: IMMEDIATELY
Work schedule: 3 days/week (which days are flexible) for 6 months with the possibility of extension
We are willing to work with a university or college to arrange academic credit or high school co-op placement.
THIS POSITION IS UNPAID with Kapisanan—however, there is an opportunity for this to grow into a paid position with CMANGO DESIGN, depending on performance.
Please send your resume and cover letter indicating "Design Intern" in the subject (and any relevant design work if applicable) by e-mail or in person to:
Contact: Caroline Mangosing - Executive Director
167 Augusta Ave., Toronto, ON (2 blocks West of Spadina, North off Dundas)
Please call ahead if you are dropping off your application: 416.979.0600
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS is APRIL 22, 2010 at 5:00 pm
KAPISANAN is an equal opportunity employer.
Only those applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted.