POSITION AVAILABLE @ KAPISANAN: VINTA FASHION INTERN
This Holiday 2012, an exclusive collection of Filipiñana fashions will sail into KAPISANAN’s Vinta Gallery. The collection, also called VINTA, includes chic, modern barongs and ternos like you’ve never seen them! Finally, you can wear a terno that won’t make you feel like a beauty pageant contestant. VINTA finds the balance between classic and contemporary design.
This exciting ready-to-wear, limited edition fashion line is designed in Toronto and manufactured in the Philippines. VINTA is made exclusively for and by KAPISANAN for our Social Enterprise initiative.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
KAPISANAN is seeking a motivated individual to assist in the day-to-day operations of VINTA, our Social Enterprise initiative.
The VINTA Intern will report to the Social Enterprise Coordinator, Operations and Marketing Manager and the Executive Director. The VINTA Intern will be highly organized, have a willingness to learn, and have a keen interest in the Filipino culture and most of all, FAWWWSHHHAWNN!
The VINTA Fashion Internship provides a learning experience during which the intern will actively participate in the day-to-day operations of the retail gallery, and in all aspects of planning, mounting and executing all sales events.
During this program the Intern will have an opportunity to gain experience in the workings of the fashion and retail environment and enhance skills while working under the direction of professional mentors. This is a great opportunity to gain invaluable experience in the retail and fashion industry with a vibrant and growing professional organization!
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE IS:
- A creative problem-solver
- Pays high attention to detail
- Highly motivated and is a self-starter
- Organized, responsible and professional, with the ability to work independently and as a team member
- Good organizational and time-management skills; able to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
Nicole Cajucom, KAPISANAN's Program Coordinator at the VINTA booth at Kultura 2012. Photo by gailatlarge.com
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Assist in merchandising displays, mannequins and inventory
- Assist in liaising with local artists as potential consignees for the gallery
- Assist in coordination and organization of photo shoot for online look book
- Assisting in styling and or stylist
- Staying in the retail gallery and monitoring incoming traffic
- Help organize and attend Special/VIP Events as needed
- Assist with media relations and press releases
- Assist in writing copy for online marketing channels: The K website, Facebook and Twitter
- Carry out all responsibilities in a professional, timely and effective manner with high quality of work
WE ARE SEEKING A DYNAMIC, COMMITTED YOUNG PERSON WHO:
- Shows initiative in a small fashion/retail business environment
- Demonstrates excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Has 2+ years in retail clothing environment or visual merchandising
- Graduated from or enrolled in a Fashion and/or Retail Management Program, or equivalent experience
- Proficient with Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) or Equivalent Design Software, plus basic Microsoft Office applications
- Adept in using Twitter, Social Media links online store and Blogger Dashboards
- Equipped with own digital camera, laptop/MacBook/or Ipad.
- Has access to a car (not a requirement; however is an asset)
Start date: Immediately
Work schedule: 2 days/week (Fridays & Saturdays, 1130am - 6pm) for a 6-month commitment. We are willing to work with a university or college to arrange academic credit or high school co-op placement.
THIS POSITION IS UNPAID – your payment is real world experience, mentorship from professionals, and/or placement credit.
Please send your resume and cover letter indicating “VINTA Fashion Intern” in the subject by e-mail, or in person to:
CAROLINE MANGOSING Executive Director firstname.lastname@example.org 167 Augusta Ave. Toronto, ON (2 blocks West of Spadina, North off Dundas)
Please call ahead if you are dropping off your application: 416.979.0600
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS is OCTOBER 20, 2012, 5 p.m. **EXTENDED TO Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 5 p.m.**
KAPISANAN is an equal opportunity employer. Only those applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted.
As part of KAPISANAN’s revenue stream, 100% of profits from VINTA sales will go directly to support KAPISANAN’s day-to-day operations and youth programming. With your VINTA purchase, you can wear your culture with pride while supporting KAPISANAN’s continued work for Filipino-Canadian youth.
VINTA aims to bring the legacy of Filipino craft traditions into the world of contemporary design, while elevating the Philippines and Filipinos around the world through exchange, exploration, and excellence.
Housed inside Toronto’s Kensington Market district is Kapisanan Philippine Centre for Arts & Culture’s 3500 sq ft headquarters. We are youth-led incorporated, non-profit organization that gives all Filipino-Canadian youth (kahit na bagong dating o dito na sa Canada pinanganak!) opportunities to cultivate a positive sense of cultural identity and leadership potential. We strive to provide an amazing stage for Filipino-Canadian talent(in any sector) to shine! Through mentorship community-based arts workshops and programsand presentations, KAPISANAN creates a safe space for Filipino-Canadian youth to explore Filipino culture and heritage, fostering pride and self-confidence, inspiring and empowering them to realize their full potential.
Our amazing multi-purpose facility is also available for rentals.
Armed with an appetite for creative endeavours and community advancement, here at the K, we eat art and inspiration.
Come, you eat now.