The 10th Annual TALES FROM THE FLIPSIDE Festival, Carlos Bulosan Theatre's showcase of Filipino-Canadian playwrights and performers, is finally here!
From May 12-15, join us as we celebrate this year's theme: Collective Consciousness. Featuring new collectively created works by Play Creation Unit Alumni, and free workshops at Kapisanan on Saturday May 14th!
The Opening Night Fundraiser is on May 12, 7pm @The Theatre Centre (1087 Queen Street W, at Dovercourt). Here are 5 reasons why you should go:
1. There's the ever fashionable Melissa Clemente - sun kissed from the Philippines whose jewelery installation never disappoint. She's also leading a FREE Jewelery Design Workshop on Saturday, May 14, 1-2:30 p.m. at Kapisanan, 167 Augusta Ave.
2. Don't miss Michaela Cruz and Lyndel Aguilar, emerging visual artists from Kapisanan's Clutch Vol. #3 showcasing their work from the past six-months from this intensive arts-based and cultural immersion.
3. Performance from Casey Mecija of Ohbijou Just listen to her amazing savory voice here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXcebV04aVM Need we say more? Wait, we do have more because Casey is also hosting a FREE Care Package Art Installation Workshop on Saturday, May 14, 3-5 p.m. at Kapisanan, 167 Augusta Ave.
4. Performance from hunters x gatherers An expressive collaboration between inter-disciplinary artist Jen Maramba, prolific musician/producer Alex Punzalan with the creative influence of Kawayan Punzalan. Based on "Maharlika" and the healers they met during their 2011 Philippine sabatical, this mix of adventure and mentorship has proven to be a turning point in their respective lives.
5. Food from Mayette's Fine Foods!
Tickets for Opening Night are $35 in advance, $45 at the door. Thursday, May 12th, 7pm The Theatre Centre 1087 Queen Street W (at Dovercourt) Box Office 416-538-0988 Information www.theatrecentre.org
Also check out two new collective creations from Play Creation Unit Alumni!
Tempting Remo May 13th 8PM & May 15th 2PM $15 by: Arlene Paculan, Flerida Peña, Myk Miranda, Jo SiMalaya Jo Alcampo
Outside May 14th 8PM & May 15th 4PM $15 by: Lucas Costello, Rina Espiritu, Vincent Galvez, Regina Simon
Play Creation Unit Director: Marjorie Chan
And don't forget about the FREE WORKSHOPS! Open to the public Saturday May 14th Kapisanan Centre for Philippine Arts and Culture 167 Augusta Ave, Toronto.
Jewelry Design with Melissa Clemente 1-2:30 PM Inspired by romance and ethnology, MCD challenges conventional applications in jewelry design through innovative vision and experimental technique. Likewise, MCD’s collaborative project and special events series called Jouissance summons, provokes and merges multi-disciplinary artists, shaping a creative sense of community with an aspiring distinction. Share this time with the ever stylish, innovative Melissa Clemente as she leads, styles and inspires during this workshop.
Care Package Art Installation with Casey Mecija 3-5PM A balikbayan box is a popular form of care package containing any number of small items that gets sent overseas. Together, workshop members will go out into the community and accumulate items that they feel represent the idea of care packages and collectively contribute to an installation. Come and consciously tell and listen to our shared experience with stories of overseas family members.
ABOUT TALES FROM THE FLIPSIDE
Tales from the Flipside Festival showcases Filipino-Canadian playwrights and performers with staged readings from new collectively created plays developed in CBT’s Play Creation Unit. Carlos Bulosan Theatre is committed to creating innovative work that reflects a vibrant, new generation of Filipino-Canadian artists. CBT seeks to encourage and develop Filipino-Canadian performers, playwrights, poets, visual artists and other artists within the community.
This blog is brought to you by our community partner, Carlos Bulosan Theatre.