REPORTS TO: Programs Coordinator, Administrator, Executive Director
EVENT PLANNING INTERN will: be working along side the Marketing and Communications Intern, the KAPISANAN Outreach Committee, and the KAPISANAN Video Production Team
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
KAPISANAN is seeking intern(s) for its Event Planning Team. Interns will play a key role in the planning of KAPISANAN's (and our partnered) events. We have several HUGE events planned between now and July 2010. The Event Planning Internship provides a learning experience during which interns participate in all aspects of planning and coordinating and mounting all KAPISANAN public events which are now attended by an average of 200-250 people each.
During this program you will have an opportunity to gain experience in the field and enhance your skills while working under the direction of professional mentors. This is a great opportunity for you to gain invaluable experience in Event Planning with a vibrant and growing professional organization!
RESPONSIBLITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO
• Assist with all aspects of planning, coordinating, and mounting KAPISANAN events.
• Assist in identifying corporate and community partners for sponsorships appropriate for specific events
• Assist in coordinating volunteers for specific events
• Communicating with Marketing and Communications Intern and Outreach Committee (to relay information for the writing and distribution of press releases, media advisories, and other internal and external communication material for specific events, marketing collateral materials for specific events, this includes copy for newsletters, website, flyers, brochures)
• Communicating with Video Production Team to create spotlight videos, and other media presentations for the promotions of specific events; and to properly document events on video
• Ensuring KAPISANAN events refine and strengthen the KAPISANAN brand, identity, image, and mission and vision
• Communicate regularly with Executive Director on the status of the tasks assigned.
• Complete all tasks in a timely fashion with high quality of work.
• Ability to work at least three full days in the KAPISANAN office per week for a 6 month period, plus attend all planned KAPISANAN events.
• Carry out all responsibilities in a professional, timely and effective manner.
• Be organized, responsible, and professional, with the ability to function as a team member.
• Good organizational and time-management skills; able to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
• Perform any other duties, carry out any other requests as directed by the Executive Director
QUALIFICATIONS / INTERESTS:
We are seeking a dynamic, committed young person who is:
• Super organized
• Keen interest or some background in the arts and culture production.
• In-depth understanding of Filipino & Filipino-Canadian culture, experience, and struggles
• Keen interest or some background in Event Planning, Public Relations, or related fields (high school co-op students also accepted)
• Creative and a good problem solver
• Strong communications skills, oral and written
• Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point)
• Some knowledge of Adobe CS4 (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign), though we are willing to train.
Kapisanan Philippine Centre for Arts & Culture is Torontos premiere Filipino-Canadian arts and cultural facility.
Explore Culture. Enrich Potential. Eat Art.
The K is housed inside Toronto's uber multiculty and artsy Kensington Market. As a youth-driven centre with an inter-generational sphere, we are a creative collective focused on the professional development of Filipino artists and entrepreneurs.Filipinos are the 4th largest visible minority group in the GTA. That's 3% of Toronto's population. Since 2005, the K has established itself as a multi-disciplinary hub where mentors exhilarate artistic expression, professionalism, positive and critical cultural identification into Toronto's broader Filipino community. We explore performance, design, visual and literary arts, music, film and video by means of arts mentorship programs, arts and cultural workshops and events.
Start date: IMMEDIATELY
Work schedule: 3 days/week (which days are flexible) for a 6 months commitment
We are willing to work with a university or college to arrange academic credit or high school co-op placement.
THIS POSITION IS UNPAID-- your payment is real world experience, and seeing events you help plan actually happen, with the mentorship of professionals, and/or co-op placement credit.
Please send your resume and cover letter indicating "Event Planning Intern" in the subject by e-mail or in person to:
Caroline Mangosing - Executive Director
167 Augusta Ave.
(2 blks West of Spadina, North off Dundas)
Please call ahead if you are dropping off your application
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS is March 15, 2010 at 5:00 pm
KAPISANAN is an equal opportunity employer.
Only those applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted.