PSL: Poetry Is Our Second LanguageA Four Week Poetry Unit @Kapisanan Thursday, August 13 at 6pmSHARP Special Guest: Patria Rivera $10 Drop In, FREE for members!
Kapisanan's 4 week Poetry Unit rolls into Week Two with another special guest on August 13!
Tell your friends and if you missed session one, don't worry -- you can join us for number two. Bring a friend and spread the word.
I'll tell you what's coming up for Week Two in a sec, but first of all -- what a great turnout last night at the PSL Kickoff. Jodee was taking pics and we'll post them here, but if you missed it, here's a recap:
- 11 Artists hit the OPEN MIC! That's a Kapisanan record! - Thanks to Patrick, Mykelle, Jian, Haniely, Marc, Dean, Lena, Andrea and Philip!
Our special guest Dr. Kevin Nadal made it 10! In addition to performing a few of his poems, he also treated us to his standup comedy as well as a lecture on his new book that he's touring, 'Filipino American Psychology'. Originally, Kevin was going to have books at Kapisanan to sell, but by the time he visited, he had already sold out of the books he had with him on his tour.
You can order this book HERE. Kapisanan is also buying one for our ever-growing resource library.
Yours truly made it 11 but more importantly, I previewed the next 3 weeks of PSL, as we move into Workshop Mode and get to writing and learnin'.
On August 13, here's what to expect:
- Unlike our first session, this won't be an Open Mic!
- I'll quickly take you through the Roots of Philippine Poetry starting from Alibata Love Letters on Bamboo to Tanagas, Balagtasans right up to more contemporary work by great poets such as but not limited to Jose Garcia Villa, Nick Joaquin, Trinidad Subido and Carlos Bulosan. This is just a primer!
- We've got ANOTHER special guest joining us for this poetry unit.
Patria Rivera is a writer/editor/author and poet who has published the books "Puti/White" and "The Bride Anthology". She's a winner of the Global Filipino Literary Award for Poetry as well as having been shortlisted for the Trillium Poetry Award.
We'll read some of her poetry selections and discuss her craft as well her experience in writing and publishing her books.
- Finally, we'll end off with a quick writing exercise leading into some HOMEWORK!
Things to bring:
- Something to write ON and WITH - Some poetry that you're already working on or have written - Yourself and an Open Mind! - A few friends to join in. It's never too late to join the unit.
See you on Thursday August 13, 6pm @Kapisanan